Thursday, July 11, 2019

365. Lemmings

The only reason I know about this, is because I used to play video games like a crazy person back in the 90's. In 1992 I believe (?) Sunsoft released a game called Lemmings. It featured a horde of strange looking cartoon things that would mindlessly walk around and kill themselves if not directed to safety by the player.

As an inquisitive child, I researched what a lemming was because back then there wasn't a lot to do. I discovered that a lemming was a small flightless bird, native to some northern country. They kind of reminded me of quails. They would follow each other around, and sometimes off of cliffs. Because they were stupid.

30 years later, I discover that a lemming is now a kind of rodent. I imagine that nobody has ever heard of a lemming, let alone researched one so I imagine I'm alone in this. As usual.


 As you can see, the creators of this game went to great lengths to insure that nobody would be able to discern what a lemming is based upon the artwork. IT USED TO  BE A BIRD.



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemming  --- and now we have our modern day lemming. It's a freaking rat. Or a hedgehog.


No comments:

Post a Comment